Description for Outreach and Communications Coordinator
The Tyler Clementi Foundation (TCF) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization founded by the Clementi family to prevent bullying through inclusion, an assertion of dignity, and acceptance, to honor the memory of Tyler: a son, a brother, and a friend. Our mission is to end online and offline bullying in schools, workplaces, and faith communities.
In 2010, Tyler’s death became a global news story, highlighting the impact and consequences of bullying, harassment, and humiliation, while sparking a dialogue among parents, teachers, and students across the country. Tyler’s story also linked to broader issues affecting youth and families such as LGBTQ inequality, safety in schools, youth in crisis, higher education support systems, and cyberbullying.
In 2011, The Tyler Clementi Foundation was born out of the urgent need to address the bullying challenges facing vulnerable populations, especially LGBTQ and other victims of hostile social environments. Through programs such as #Day1 – a free, scalable, direct-action program that empowers individuals and groups to take a stand against cruelty, bullying, harassment, and humiliation – the Foundation encourages leadership to create safe spaces where individuals can stand up to bullying and embrace diversity. Read more about #Day1 here.
The Tyler Clementi Foundation is seeking a critical thinker and skilled communicator who understands the importance of Tyler’s story and the lifesaving work of the foundation’s programs to build a culture of kindness, respect, and compassion. The ideal candidate will be able to develop relationships, promote and expand the reach of our programs, create and curate content on the Tyler Clementi website and social media platforms, and will be able to facilitate and nurture collaboration among diverse communities and organizations to end bullying in all its forms.
The Outreach and Communications Coordinator will report directly to the CEO of the Tyler Clementi Foundation.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public administration, or a related field.
- Knowledge with anti-bullying and mental health initiatives, LGBTQ+, racial, and gender inequality, change theory and social-emotional learning.
- Able to analyze and research-related content to ensure the most up-to-date information and relevant theoretical models are implemented.
- Demonstrated experience employing and evaluating social media analytics to drive the development of content to achieve the outcomes we are looking for.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills with the ability to make impactful connections with a wide range of constituencies.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite; Canva, WordPress, HTML, CRM and /or NGPVan’s EveryAction, Facebook Business Suite, and Twitter Analytics experience is highly desirable.
- Interest in and commitment to the mission of the Tyler Clementi Foundation.
Work Hours and Location
Monday through Friday 9 am to 5 pm, with occasional evenings and weekends for special events in the New York City area. Consideration will be given for qualified candidates to work remotely outside of the NYC area.
Salary commensurate with experience.
- 5 Weeks PTO (combined sick and vacation) per year
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Medical/dental/vision coverage available
- 401K retirement plan available
- Commuter benefits available
- Life insurance (including spouse supplemental) is available
- Short- and long-term disability insurance available
How to Apply
Please send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We thank you for your interest in employment opportunities with the Tyler Clementi Foundation. Due to the high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Tyler Clementi Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We especially encourage members of historically underrepresented communities to apply, including LGBTQ people, women, people of color, and people with disabilities. Please read our Diversity Statement: tylerclementi.org/diversity-statement/